Monday, March 17, 2014

Moving a large milling machine with a home made crane...

I got some time to work on moving the mill.  The "mill" is a 1950's Van Norman No. 12 vertical and horizontal Milling machine.  I purchased it on ebay last fall and had it delivered here to the farm.  Was a dickens of a thing to get unloaded and into the shop!   It weighs more than my little tractors front end loader could handle - which means its more than 3000lbs!  I know, you look at it and think it cant possibly weight that much, its not much bigger than a table saw, but this thing is made of cast steel - thick castings, and damn solid!

Anyway, I need to get this thing situated in the shop so I can use it (and get around my shop).  I need to get this thing up off the shipping pallet and onto some round pipes so that I can roll it into place.  To do this I made a make-shift crane out of some rough lumber.   Check out the pictures below for a step by step.

Some of the stuff I had to move to even get to the mill!



Here are the vertical legs for the crane

Before moving the legs into position

Legs in position


The tops of the verticals are just a hair shy of the shop ceiling joists.

Got the horizontal "beam" (log) ready to put up on top of the verticals.


Tada!  The horizontal is in place!  (my wife reads this blog, so I will not disclose how the horizontal got up there!)

Another view of the horizontal beam.  I need to place some braces on it and attach the hoist.

See part 2 of this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment