Sunday, August 25, 2013

8/25/2013 Update


Again, making this post in retrospect.

Got up late, around 9am.  Wanted to get started on wood ASAP, but thought I had better pick green beans first.  So I went and picked green beans, I think I got a bit less than half that I got last weekend.  We will find out when we freeze them.

Then I went and picked the cucumbers - they are definitely on their way out.  Didn't even get 5gallon this time.  I think we will get more though.  

Then I went and picked the corn.  Picked many ears, but they are so small!  We will just eat them for dinner Monday, or sometime this week.

I also picked some tomatoes - not alot - but more then last weekend!  I hope we get more then a few here-and-there!  They are hard to process when they come in spotty like this!

Oh, I cut off some broccoli too - just a cup or so - that was a surprise even.  I thought that was over for sure!

Then, I had to take care of the assembly of the cement mixer I had received a week or so ago.  Finally, around 4ish (?)  I got to get working on the wood again.  I didn't finish it by 6pm, which is when we left for home.   While I was putting the tractor away, I noticed a funny sound when the tractor was in neutral - also a light that I don't recall being on before is now on while in neutral.   I took the tractor manual along for the ride home and looked to see what the light meant.  I couldn't find anything serious about that light - in fact as far as I can tell the light is only supposed to be on for a little while during startup.  Maybe loose wire?  In any case, I really need to check the fluid levels on the tractor next time!!

While I was working, Katherine canned 14 quarts(!) of kosher dill pickles and cleaned up the house and packed.  It's good to have her along with me more now - I think she is buying into the self-sufficiency idea more and is having some fun now!








No comments:

Post a Comment