Friday, August 23, 2013

Wine making

Wine:

I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up a little early (5:30am) and I am reading the instructions of the winemaking kit I got from midwest supplies (White zinfandel kit).  Seems straightforward enough that I can get it started this morning.  I need to find my optical thermometer though.  The instructions indicate that the correct temp is needed when added the yeast mix to the base.

Found optical therm and the meat therm so I can double check.

I have checked our water from the spigot - the coldest it gets is 78 F!  So i have the wine mix ready to go (even has the right density ~ 1.095), but its sitting in the fermenter cooling from 78 F to 75 F or below.  Room temperature right now is about 72-73 F.  I can't add yeast until its 72-75 F.

Screw it - I need to leave for trailer pick up - I added yeast while still at 78F.  I hope for the best!

I need to check to make sure I have a siphon for later on in this process.  Also, I need to check to see if I have enough bottles.  Maybe I should get real wine bottles and stoppering kit?


Anyway, see the trailer update page for more info on what I did this day!

More pickles!

I put up 14 more pints of dill pickles using Mrs Wages and the cucs I brought back with me from SS.  There are still more cucs left!!




No comments:

Post a Comment