Tuesday, August 13, 2013

More pickles!

Did up another 14 pints of dill yesterday afternoon.

Katherine started a bread and butter pickle before she left this morning.  Interesting recipe from the ball blue book (p. 29).  Made 8 pints of bread and butter pickles.

This is my normal dill pickle recipe: Quick dill pickles

I did a modified dill recipe for 14 more pints.  Instead of soaking for 12 hours, I cut them into spears FIRST, and then soaked for 2 hours in brine.  Then I processed them as before.  I have the rest of the cucumbers in soaking in brine right now.  I need to wait at least 2 hours I figure.  Also, I need to let the existing jars cool a bit before I can move them out of the way!

Evidently, I overtightened?  or overfilled?  a couple of the jars.  One lid buckled a little - another buckled a lot. Here is a pic:

Seems to have sealed but I am not sure I trust it.  We will see.






No comments:

Post a Comment