Monday, September 23, 2013

Apple Sauce


I processed what was left of the bushel of apples that I got at Mile Level Market last weekend.  I had two different kinds of apples, unfortunately I don't recall the types!  One was yellow and one was red.  The red is a good eating apple, but they are going bad quickly.  The yellow had many bad apples and wouldn't last another day or two I think.

I simply boiled the cored and quartered apples in a big pot (put a little water in the bottom to help keep from burning the apples).  I wasn't watching close enough and did end up burning some of them.  KEEP THE HEAT SETTING LOW AND STIR OFTEN! Anyway, the burn wasn't too bad and I simply blended the burned with the good sauce and its hardly noticable.  Especially not a problem since I am the one who will be eating most of this!

I have 7 quarts in the hot water bath right now - they go for 20 mins.   I will probably get a few more quarts - I don't think I have enough quart jars though.  I may use pint and a half or just pints.

Oh, on a side note, Katherine mailed off the check (with a copy of the invoice) for the backhoe today!  It is going to take a while to get there and then it will take some time to clear.  It probably won't be delivered until next week - maybe even later.  I am anxious to get it though, I would really like to get those stumps out and grass seed down before the winter sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment