Monday, September 23, 2013

Weekend recap

I went up to farm Friday morning, made it there around 9:30 I think.  I called seth fenby at que sales, inc to confirm that I was going to stop by to look at the equipment.  I tried to connect the trailer to the van, but without the tractor to move the trailer out of garage (no hydraulics hose meant I couldn't lift the FEL) I got the van and trailer stuck on the garage door!

So I left in the SUV, after locking up as best I could around the van, to go see the equipment.  I found the place, eventually, and met Seth.    He showed me the crawler-loader and proceeded to demo the unit by driving it.  However, while driving it he had some problems; it couldn't turn right!  I told him that I was more interested in the backhoe, so we moved on.  The backhoe started up and he drove it around a little and then let me drive it!  I drove it around - it hydro so I was already used to the control.  I then tried to use the backhoe portion of the machine.   It worked, but a bit jerky (which I learned later is normal for a backhoe).
I asked him for a better price and we eventually haggled to $6,700 cash and delivered.  I mentioned that I don't like carrying that much cash around.  He said it helps keep the tax off the books so he makes more money in the pocket.  I sympathized, but again, I wasn't sure I could even GET that kind of cash on a Friday afternoon, far away from my bank.  Anyway, I looked at the machine a bit closer and noticed some oil on the engine... I wondered if head gasket leaking.. although there was no unusual smoke.  I did take note that  while the pins are tight, they don't look like they have been lubed for a awhile.  I told him I would consult my wife to see what she said.  I think he thought I was passing on the deal (which I was STRONGLY considering).   As I was leaving he mentioned that he could do check if cash wasn't possible, but that it would just take longer.  I made a mental note, but had to keep moving...I left to rush back home to get septic tank pumped!

Before I got home though I stopped to get hydraulic hoses made at the Fulton Tractor Kubota dealer.  The service man couldn't make the house with 1/2 " hose but could with 3/8" hose. I couldn't see a reason why that wouldn't work so he went ahead and did it.  Only cost about $37and was done in less then 10 mins!!  LOL. So I wasted time and money going to TSC!  Oh well, live and learn!

At that point I was seriously running behind schedule! I rushed home to find that the County Septic truck was in my driveway up near the septic tank!  I drove up and met the guy - turns out that he was running late too and that he had only just got there 10 mins earlier!  Whew!

So we got the tank pumped out and then I went to install the new hoses on the tractor.  After installing the hoses I used the tractor to de-tangled the trailer and van.   Then I used the tractor to go over to the red-barn and knock down some of the trees and crap that grew up around there this year (well, last several years).  I just knocked the trees and fence down, I didn't pull the roots or saw off any trees or mow.  I wanted to keep moving before it got dark.   

Then I went to pick the tomatoes in the big patch.  There were many tomatoes that were goig bad and not many that were ripe.  I hope that we get at least another hundred pounds of ripe tomatoes from these gardens, but now I am not sure.  Anyway, by the time I got done picking the tomatoes, pumpkin, squash, melon, etc it was getting dark.  I put the produce on the porch and sorted the tomatoes out a bit according to ripeness.

Saturday, when I got up (I got up late!), I noticed the sky was cloudy.  I checked the weather and it predicted rain (90% chance) around noon!  I really wanted to get the cover crop in the big patch (the tillage radish is critical to break up the clay there!)  So I rushed out and began clearing the plastic ground cover from the patch.  3 HOURS later! ugh - that's a lot of work and messy!  The pumpkin and cucumber vines are like ROPES and really make life hard.  But I got the plastic up!  I took the electric fence down around the garden and then took the one end of the garden fence down so I could get the tractor and tiller in to prep for planting the radishes!  Here is what the patch looked like after the tilling:


It was starting to sprinkle around this time - about 1 PM!  I was literally RUNNING to get the seed!   Fortunately, I found that the radish could be planted with the manual seeder machine I got earlier this year (but was unable to use because of the amount of sod in the early season tilled gardens).  I used the "beet" plate and planted the whole space with radishes in about 10-15 mins!  Wonderful!  By then it was doing a consistent light rain and I was scrambling hard.  I got the hairy vetch seeds and found a broadcast seeder in the old garage and started seeding my butt off!  I finished before it started really coming down!  Here it is all seeded:



I saved the tomatoes and eggplant!  Everything else is gone from the big patch!  Well, there is a pumpkin vine or two that are trying to survive - but their roots are gone!

I rested a bit and did some more internet studies on the backhoe. 

I ate dinner then got to work canning the sauerkraut!   The kraut was fermented PERFECTLY!  It was sooo good and crisp - it was a perfect ferment!  I am so happy!  I think I will do the rest of the cabbage up there into sauerkraut.   One thing to note, however: canning sauerkraut is kind of a pain!  The "fibers" of cabbage stick to everything and don't want to go into the jars easily.  Eventually, I got it all in jars and canned - totaled about 10 quarts (counting about a pint of mostly juice in the last pint).  I gave mom and dad a pint and took a quart back to SS (along with the pint of juice).  Anyway, here is a pic of the kraut all canned:


Sunday morning, I got up late again!  I rushed out to re-install the fences on the patch and decided to mow the orchard while I was there!  Fences back up and electric fence on!

I picked the tomatoes out of the other two patches, as well as the green beans out of the paw-paw patch. Then cleaned dishes, packed and took off for mom and dad's.  I gave the green beans to them, as well as a pint of the sauerkraut I had made.   Then i took off for home.  

Katherine put up 7 pints of roasted tomato sauce Sunday night (lastnight).


No comments:

Post a Comment