Sunday, September 29, 2013

Farm maintenance & more harvest


Cleaned up more around the red barn.  Sawed some small stumps to make sure the lawn mower wouldn't hit them.  Removed the brambles (and a small tree) from inside the building too.  Did mowing all the way back to the woods in back and to the stream/drainage ditch on left and right sides.  Eventually, I want to clean up the entire right side (as you face the front of the building).

I mowed around the elderberries using the riding mower.  It has been dry enough that i didn't get stuck at all!  I spun a bit, but didn't get stuck.  I started cleaning up around the elderberries with the string trimmer (the riding mower doesn't get very close).  I stopped by the front patch and harvested the remaining cabbage.  Here is a pick of our last cabbage (in PA anyway):


I need to harvest the dill (and dry it) and the beets.  I grabbed a small head of cauliflower too.  Looks like there is one more that I will get later when I harvest the last of the beets.  I should start on harvesting tomatoes too.  Maybe I will get to plant cover crop (I think just the vetch on the front patch - no clay there and seems well drained).  Note that I can plant vetch in early spring, since fall planting doesn't do much - just sprouts, develops small plants and goes dormant until early spring when it does its real growth. 

OK, back outside.  Its about 4:15pm now - it gets dark so soon now! :(

Back in.  About 7:10 pm now.  I picked and pulled all of the tomatoes in the front patch.  Also did many of the tomatoes in the big patch - it got too dark to do them all.  I also harvested all of the beets from the front garden.  Front garden only has kale and some brussel sprouts now (and dill).  Here is the harvest tonight:


I also picked most of the eggplant from the big patch.  Too dark to take pics though.  I did get some pics of the work i did around the red barn though!







Did up the cabbage as sauerkraut.  Got about 19 lbs!  I am waiting for the water to render out a bit more.  Then I will put a plate on the top and weight it down with another croc full of water.  I will put the plastic wrap on top like last time since that seemed to work ok.








No comments:

Post a Comment