Thursday, September 19, 2013

Tomatoes canned, rutabagas, wine

Finished canning 14 quarts (actually did 14 pints sauce and 14 pints juice) of tomatoes.    Things went smoothly.  Used the double boiler juicer thing and the squeeze-o strainer.  Used the pressure canner - 10lbs 15 mins.  Got caught up on all the ripe tomatoes.  Only a small number left to can here.  Saving those for Katherine to do this weekend (not sure they will even be ready - I think they will be though).

I picked the rutabagas tonight.  I was getting tired of seeing them decay out there and the tops were crowding out many other plants.  The chard should do better now.  I took the good rutabagas and cleaned them, diced them and roasted them with some salt.  Katherine and I had them for dinner.   Was just about 2 cups once cleaned.  Not exactly thrilled with their productivity - but the soil here is a bit hard on most plants.

I finally got around to doing the next step in the winemaking on my zinfandel.  Did the de-gas and added the "F-pack" (flavor pack?) and isinglass for clarification.  Now wait 14 more days (Oct 3rd) and see if ready to bottle!  I need to check to see if I have enough bottles!

I got my draw-knives and my hydraulic line adapters today. I got 2 different sizes (3 of the smaller and 1 of the larger) of hose adapters - not sure which size is correct though - if either!  I am hopeful that at least one will fit the bill and then I can replace at least one of the lines and use the tractor for garden tilling and planting my cover crops this weekend!  NO DIGGING with the tractor anymore! [unless I don't get the backhoe or excavator!]




No comments:

Post a Comment